Recent Comments

Disclaimer: All the postings on this blog are automated. I do not claim any credit (or discredit) for their inherent worth. If I especially like something from this blog, I will copy and paste it at my other blog: http://toastmasterambarish.blogspot.com

Monday, September 20, 2010

Today's Word: igneous

Your daily dose of Vocab Vitamins

my  
This week's theme is: Hotter than hell.
word a day igneous

Your current subscription status is: MyWordaDay Only.

> Did you know Vocab Vitamins Complete is just $16.50/year?


Open Spigot: The Vocab Vitamins Blog

6/27 Vocab Vitamins is opening up

Vocab Vitamins - The Book.



Your vitamins -- now wrapped in paper with original illustrations.


> Subscribe

> Account Settings


To UNSUBSCRIBE, click here and follow the instructions on our simple form.

Fire Escape Partners
3465 25th Street, Suite 17
San Francisco, CA 94110

(adjective)
[IG-nee-ahs] Play Word

1. of, relating to, or resembling fire; fiery: "To earn spending cash for the rest of the year, Jonathan spent his summer toiling with the igneous ovens of Pascuali's Pizzeria."

2. (as in geology) formed under conditions of intense heat or by solidification of volcanic magma; 'igneous rock'


Origin:
Approximately 1664; borrowed from Latin, 'igneus,' from 'ignis': fire.

In action:
"Our beloved Seattle University has some explaining to do. And not just about the color of the chairs in Schaefer Auditorium or the igneous scrambled eggs it serves in C-Street.

Despite its bold and controversial forays into the topics of sexuality,� SU denied recognition of the 'Strong Women, Healthy Voices' club for the second time. You might know this club by its earlier incarnation, Students For Choice, a pro-choice organization that struggled (unsuccessfully) to gain an official voice on campus last year."

"Editorial Jan. 29th," Seattle University Spectator Online (January 30, 2004).

"I'm on my hands and knees on an uneven outcropping, holding my bow flat against the rock, moving forward an inch or so at a time. The midday sun, high and slightly behind me, throws my shadow just forward of my head. An erratic wind gusts from 5 to 20 knots and back down again. I've been timing my movements with each surge in the breeze to cover the tiny noises that now sound to me like avalanches: a pea-size pebble rolling a few inches as I shift my foot, the horrendous scrape of my cotton pants cuff against the stalk of some tiny high-plains plant. Fifty yards back--a lifetime ago--I removed my boots, forcing myself to slow down even more, to move even more quietly. Now I'm methodically trashing a brand-new pair of $20 Filson socks in the prickly pear and gravel up the back side of this giant igneous rock. A pair of socks for a crack at a big muley buck is a deal I'll take any day. He's close. When the wind stills, I can actually hear the drone of flies buzzing around his eyes.

At the moment I have two problems. The little one is that I can't find places to put my hands and feet that will allow me to come to a standing position and take the last two steps forward. (Also complicating the situation is the fact that my body has begun to tremble.) The bigger problem is that all of a sudden I'm drowning. I can't get any oxygen in my lungs even though I'm sucking air as heavily as I dare. It's not the altitude, which is slightly over 4,000 feet. It's certainly not physical exertion; I've barely moved 18 inches in the last five minutes. No, the cause is that after a 45-minute stalk guided by outfitter Chad Schearer, who has been signaling me into position with big orange flags from half a mile away, I've finally just taken a quick peek over the edge of the rocks. And there, 6 feet below me, bedded down calmly in the shade, lies a wide-racked, deep-forked, 4x5 muley."

Bill Heavey. "The Stalk," [Nothing is more intense than getting so close to a mule deer you could reach out and touch him. Except trying to make the shot.] Field and Stream Magazine.

"The owner of the hot springs, Charles Wilson, had drilled a bore hole into the hot springs to get a regular flow of hot water to heat his home and generate electricity. The researchers asked him to modify his plumbing so that they could get an uncontaminated sample of the subsurface water, and he complied.

To determine what type of microbes was most prevalent in the hydrothermal waters circulating around the deeply buried igneous rocks, the scientists analyzed DNA sequences of the organisms. The results indicated that the microbial population consisted of more than 95 percent Archaea."

John Roach. "Microbial Colony in U.S. Suggests Life Could Live on Mars," National Geographic News (January 16, 2002).

VocabVitamins.com

Tune in tomorrow for: PYRETIC

© 2007 Fire Escape Partners, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Learnt a lot from vicissitudes of life, I am a student of life, A work in progress, currently(sic) an overweight body but a beautiful mind, Another human seeking happiness. I believe in sharing and absorbing wisdom irrespective of the source. (aa no bhadraa kratavo...)