Recent Comments

Disclaimer: All the postings on this blog are automated. I do not claim any credit (or discredit) for their inherent worth. If I especially like something from this blog, I will copy and paste it at my other blog: http://toastmasterambarish.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Today's Word: effectuate

Your daily dose of Vocab Vitamins

my  
This week's theme is: Getting it done!
word a day effectuate

Your current subscription status is: MyWordaDay Only.

> Did you know Vocab Vitamins Complete is just $16.50/year?


Open Spigot: The Vocab Vitamins Blog

6/27 Vocab Vitamins is opening up

Vocab Vitamins - The Book.



Your vitamins -- now wrapped in paper with original illustrations.


> Subscribe

> Account Settings


To UNSUBSCRIBE, click here and follow the instructions on our simple form.

Fire Escape Partners
3465 25th Street, Suite 17
San Francisco, CA 94110

(transitive verb)
[i-FEK-choo-ayt'] Play Word

1. to bring to pass; to accomplish: "Without an ally on the board, it will be difficult to effectuate the sweeping changes Karen has in mind."

noun form: effectuation


Origin:
Approximately 1580; from Medieval Latin, 'effectuare'; from Latin, 'effectus': an effect, from 'effec-,' the stem of 'efficere': to work out, to accomplish ('ef-': out + '-ficere,' 'facere': to do).

In action:
"Now, I admit, as you can hear in the audio link below, I have met Rupert Murdoch once, at his house. I also admit that there was wine and there was cheese. But, to suggest that there is some sort of conspiracy I'm participating in to populate the airwaves with imitators of my program is sheer lunacy. I have no connection with Murdoch, no connection with Fox, except that they advertise on this program....In 1996, when I was the supposed tool of Newt Gingrich, Clear Channel and Rupert Murdoch, I was not even associated with Clear Channel. This notion that I am part of a conspiracy that dates to the early 80s and I am in partnership with Newt Gingrich, Clear Channel or Murdoch to effectuate this strategy of conservative dominance throughout the media won't hold up factually. It also makes no common sense. Why would I help my competitor/imitators?"

Rush Limbaugh. "The Vast Right-Wing Radio Conspiracy," RushLimbaugh.com (April 29, 2003).

Consumers will soon be able to buy term life insurance and auto insurance online with e-signatures, said Behnam Dayanim, an attorney with Paul, Hastings, Jenosky & Walker, in Washington, D.C., who lobbied for the e-sign bill. But Dayanim noted that businesses are increasingly relying on electronic transactions to speed deals within their companies or among their established business partners. Such transactions might not be true e-signatures since they usually rely on paper signatures on file, but they are a sign of progress, he said. 'When you look globally, it's had a really pervasive but subtle effect on how people do business,' Dayanim said. 'There's more and more transactions where the parties effectuate the transactions online. I think that's in part attributable to e-sign.'"

Troy Wolverton. "Despite law, few people use e-signatures," CNET News.com (April 17, 2002).

"CPB Inc. announced its shareholders approved changing the name of its publicly-traded holding company to Central Pacific Financial Corp. The Company is proceeding with the legal and logistical steps to effectuate the name change and it intends to start doing business and trading under its new name on May 1, 2003."

"CPB Inc. to Change Company Name to Central Pacific Financial Corp.," PRNewswire.com (April 25, 2003).

VocabVitamins.com

Tune in tomorrow for: FRUITION

© 2007 Fire Escape Partners, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Learnt a lot from vicissitudes of life, I am a student of life, A work in progress, currently(sic) an overweight body but a beautiful mind, Another human seeking happiness. I believe in sharing and absorbing wisdom irrespective of the source. (aa no bhadraa kratavo...)