Recent Comments

Disclaimer: All the postings on this blog are automated. I do not claim any credit (or discredit) for their inherent worth. If I especially like something from this blog, I will copy and paste it at my other blog: http://toastmasterambarish.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A.Word.A.Day--moraine

 Wordsmith.orgThe Magic of Words 

Aug 10, 2010
This week's theme
Glacial landforms

This week's words
drumlin
moraine

Moraine at Mer de Glace in the Alps
Moraine at Mer de Glace in the Alps
Photo: Rob Simmon

Discuss
Feedback
RSS/XML
Bookmark and Share Facebook Twitter Digg MySpace Bookmark and Share
A.Word.A.Day
with Anu Garg

moraine

PRONUNCIATION:
(muh-RAYN)

MEANING:
noun: An accumulation of boulders, gravel, or other debris carried and deposited by a glacier.

ETYMOLOGY:
From French moraine, from Savoy dialect morena (mound).

USAGE:
"Professor Shulmeister's team believes a large landslide dumped a huge volume of rock on top of the glacier, causing it to advance and, when the advance stopped, the moraine was created."
Angela Gregory; Glacial Find Pours Cold Water on World Theory; The New Zealand Herald (Auckland); Jun 30, 2008.

Explore "moraine" in the Visual Thesaurus.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Animals give me more pleasure through the viewfinder of a camera than they ever did in the crosshairs of a gunsight. And after I've finished "shooting", my unharmed victims are still around for others to enjoy. -Jimmy Stewart, actor (1908-1997)

Sponsors' messages:
In My Book®
...the greeting card and bookmark in one...
Angie's List
Find ratings on whom to hire for all your home projects

Unsubscribe | Subscribe | Update address | Gift subscription | Contact us
Books by Anu Garg

© 2010 Wordsmith.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Learnt a lot from vicissitudes of life, I am a student of life, A work in progress, currently(sic) an overweight body but a beautiful mind, Another human seeking happiness. I believe in sharing and absorbing wisdom irrespective of the source. (aa no bhadraa kratavo...)