Recent Comments

Disclaimer: All the postings on this blog are automated. I do not claim any credit (or discredit) for their inherent worth. If I especially like something from this blog, I will copy and paste it at my other blog: http://toastmasterambarish.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Today's Word: depilate

Your daily dose of Vocab Vitamins

my  
This week's theme is: HairLESS.
word a day depilate

Your current subscription status is: MyWordaDay Only.

> Did you know Vocab Vitamins Complete is just $16.50/year?


Open Spigot: The Vocab Vitamins Blog

6/27 Vocab Vitamins is opening up

Vocab Vitamins - The Book.



Your vitamins -- now wrapped in paper with original illustrations.


> Subscribe

> Account Settings


To UNSUBSCRIBE, click here and follow the instructions on our simple form.

Fire Escape Partners
3465 25th Street, Suite 17
San Francisco, CA 94110

(transitive verb)
[DEP-ah-layt'] Play Word

1. to remove hair from the body: "He is the kind of guy who will state his preferences for how ladies should depilate before dinner is finished on a first date."

noun forms: depilation, depilator


Origin:
Approximately 1550; from Latin, 'depilat-' ('de-' + 'pilare': combined meaning, to deprive of hair, from 'pilus': hair).

In action:
"The indulgences made available assume that men are as gullible about the restorative effects of beauty treatments as the beauty parlor denizens on an episode of 'I Love Lucy.' There is the 'hangover facial' ($50) and the wrap specially formulated to reduce love handles ($85 an hour). The bodybuilder's wax, meant to depilate nearly the whole of one's person, costs $160.

Depilation, as it happens, is a particular point of fascination here, though not every client is on board. 'I've been told to come back once a month,' said one client who received a facial last week. 'But waxing? I'm not there yet.' Nickel offers an abdominal wax billed as the 'boxer's chest.' Another waxing procedure is called the 'cyclist's legs.' Still another, the 'swimmer,' leaves the subject free of hair on his back, shoulders and arms."

Ginia Bellafante. "For Men Only," The New York Times (November 20, 2001).

"I lie in bed and stare at Helen's routine in awe - what the hell's a hair iron? Successfully bathe, wash hair, depilate and match creams to the correct parts of my body. I press a blouse but my sadly neglected iron deposits rust onto the fabric, so I dig out another blouse and start again. I realise I haven't seen my hairdryer since I moved house, so I run to the gym to use theirs. Finally leave the house half an hour late and harassed."

Elizabeth Heathcote and Helen Shipman. "High maintenance/Low maintenance: These two women are about to change the habits of a lifetime..." The [London] Independent (April 23, 2000).

"While contemporary women are not literally forced to depilate, the culture and media pressure us to do so. Those women with enough guts to challenge the status quo and free themselves from the shackles of a sexist society are stigmatized. They face judgments that others escape by complying to and personifying the behaviors and attitudes expected of them by their peers."

Robin Friebur. "Shaving is the Pits," Off Our Backs (May/June 2005).

"With Epilady, most women need about 20 minutes to depilate their legs. And because the hair is removed by the root, the treatment lasts for at least a week. By comparison, shaving must be done almost daily and waxing is messy and painful."

Sabra Chartrand. "Israelis Revolutionize Hair Removal Industry," The New York Times (October 10, 1988).

VocabVitamins.com

Tune in tomorrow for: SHORN

© 2007 Fire Escape Partners, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Learnt a lot from vicissitudes of life, I am a student of life, A work in progress, currently(sic) an overweight body but a beautiful mind, Another human seeking happiness. I believe in sharing and absorbing wisdom irrespective of the source. (aa no bhadraa kratavo...)