Recent Comments

Disclaimer: All the postings on this blog are automated. I do not claim any credit (or discredit) for their inherent worth. If I especially like something from this blog, I will copy and paste it at my other blog: http://toastmasterambarish.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Today's Word: shorn

Your daily dose of Vocab Vitamins

my  
This week's theme is: HairLESS.
word a day shorn

Your current subscription status is: MyWordaDay Only.

> Did you know Vocab Vitamins Complete is just $16.50/year?


Open Spigot: The Vocab Vitamins Blog

6/27 Vocab Vitamins is opening up

Vocab Vitamins - The Book.



Your vitamins -- now wrapped in paper with original illustrations.


> Subscribe

> Account Settings


To UNSUBSCRIBE, click here and follow the instructions on our simple form.

Fire Escape Partners
3465 25th Street, Suite 17
San Francisco, CA 94110

(adjective)
[shoern] Play Word

1. with hair cut very short: "He ran his hand over his freshly shorn head several times and grinned sheepishly."

2. having had something taken away; 'shorn of all the trappings of wealth'

also: past participle of shear


Origin:
Approximately 900; from Old English, 'sceran': to cut.

In action:
"Many go out for wool, and come home shorn themselves."

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1547-1616). Don Quixote.

"I dreamed as in my bed I lay,
All night's fathomless wisdom come,
That I had shorn my locks away
And laid them on Love's lettered tomb:
But something bore them out of sight
In a great tumult of the air."

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939). Irish poet, playwright. 'XIII. Her Dream.'

"God tempers the wind to the shorn lamb."

Laurence Sterne (1713-1768). British author. Maria, quoting a French proverb in A Sentimental Journey (1768).

"This is the cock that crowed in the morn
That waked the priest all shaven and shorn."

Mother Goose (17th-18th century). The House That Jack Built.

"'Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, 'art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore--
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849). U.S. poet. The Raven.

VocabVitamins.com

Tune in tomorrow for: GLABROUS

© 2007 Fire Escape Partners, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Learnt a lot from vicissitudes of life, I am a student of life, A work in progress, currently(sic) an overweight body but a beautiful mind, Another human seeking happiness. I believe in sharing and absorbing wisdom irrespective of the source. (aa no bhadraa kratavo...)