Recent Comments

Disclaimer: All the postings on this blog are automated. I do not claim any credit (or discredit) for their inherent worth. If I especially like something from this blog, I will copy and paste it at my other blog: http://toastmasterambarish.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Today's Word: dilation

Your daily dose of Vocab Vitamins

my  
This week's theme is: Growth and Expansion
word a day dilation

Your current subscription status is: MyWordaDay Only.

> Did you know Vocab Vitamins Complete is just $16.50/year?


Open Spigot: The Vocab Vitamins Blog

6/27 Vocab Vitamins is opening up

Vocab Vitamins - The Book.



Your vitamins -- now wrapped in paper with original illustrations.


> Subscribe

> Account Settings


To UNSUBSCRIBE, click here and follow the instructions on our simple form.

Fire Escape Partners
3465 25th Street, Suite 17
San Francisco, CA 94110

(noun)
[die-LAY-shan, di-LAY-shan] Play Word

1. the act of expanding an aperture, or the state of being dilated; expansion

2. the act of expanding or the state of being expanded: "During winter, it is natural for any pipes that contain water to experience some dilation."


Origin:
Approximately 1598; 'Dilate' was adapted from Late French, 'dilater', which was borrowed from Latin, 'dilatare': make wider.

In Action:
"'I certainly think it's possible that I'll change my mind at some stage, and kill myself; I refuse to make any promises on that score to anyone,' he said. Andrew Solomon sat by a bed of tulips under an evening sky as blue as his eyes. Wide and oceanic in expression, part of which is dilation from drugs, part of which is his absorption in things, Mr. Solomon's eyes are those of a man continuously looking out to sea.

Howard Solomon, chairman of Forest Laboratories in New York, a pharmaceutical company valued at $12 billion, introduced antidepressants like Celexa, which now competes in sales with Prozac, because of a sudden urgency to help people like his son."

William Hamilton. 'At Home With Andrew Solomon: Showing the Demons the Door' The New York Times (May 17, 2001).

VocabVitamins.com

© 2007 Fire Escape Partners, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Learnt a lot from vicissitudes of life, I am a student of life, A work in progress, currently(sic) an overweight body but a beautiful mind, Another human seeking happiness. I believe in sharing and absorbing wisdom irrespective of the source. (aa no bhadraa kratavo...)