Recent Comments

Disclaimer: All the postings on this blog are automated. I do not claim any credit (or discredit) for their inherent worth. If I especially like something from this blog, I will copy and paste it at my other blog: http://toastmasterambarish.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Today's Word: admonition

Your daily dose of Vocab Vitamins

my  
This week's theme is: Forewarning.
word a day admonition

Your current subscription status is: MyWordaDay Only.

> Did you know Vocab Vitamins Complete is just $16.50/year?


Open Spigot: The Vocab Vitamins Blog

6/27 Vocab Vitamins is opening up

Vocab Vitamins - The Book.



Your vitamins -- now wrapped in paper with original illustrations.


> Subscribe

> Account Settings


To UNSUBSCRIBE, click here and follow the instructions on our simple form.

Fire Escape Partners
3465 25th Street, Suite 17
San Francisco, CA 94110

(noun)
[ad'-mah-NISH-ahn] Play Word

1. gentle but firm reproof: "James didn't realize that he had said anything wrong, but the visual admonition that his wife sent across the table meant it was time to stop talking."

2. cautionary advice; warning


Origin:
17th century; from Middle English, 'amonicioun'; borrowed from Old French, 'amonicion'; from Latin, 'admonitionem' (nominative 'admonitio'), from 'admonere': to advise ('ad-': to + 'monere': to advise, to warn).

In action:
"I keep thinking of the lessons I learned in the 25 years I've been in Hollywood:

There are so many--from top-drawer producer Michael Shamberg's very smart counsel to keep low overhead (which I failed to heed) to a Mercedes salesman's advice to believe in my future to my high school chum Goldie Hawn's admonition to remember that it's all a business.

And maybe the best of my lessons is to be grateful I'm here with the flash, cash and trash..."

Ben Stein. "Monday Night at Morton's," E! Online (January 7, 2001).

"Raymond is something of a spokesman for hackers, being the author of both the Jargon File, the definitive Internet lexicon, and the Cathedral and the Bazaar, an influential treatise on free software. He also coded various tools for the Unix operating system.

But he's not proud. Raymond recommends that when you deal with hackers, 'think of us as being brain damaged.' Hackers, he explains, can be unmercifully blunt when dealing with people who aren't as fascinated with technical matters as they are.

Tough love? Raymond gets tougher. On some e-mail lists, if you ask a basic question, you'll get a brusque admonition to RTFM, or 'read the f***ing manual.' Rude? Perhaps, but Raymond argues that by not ignoring you, techies convey 'a rough kind of respect.' Once you get past hackers' lack of polish, by following Raymond's advice, you'll soon gain their respect -- and get quick answers to tough programming problems."

Ryan�Tate. "How to Talk to Hackers: Eric S. Raymond delivers advice on getting straight answers from techies." Business2.0 (October 09, 2001).

"I had Standish obtain several of the servants' younger children for my son's companionship. As I watched them cavort in the court-yard, I noticed the unusual garments N. Aeschylus' new friends were wearing. While N. Aeschylus was quite properly garbed in a velvet Little Lord Fauntleroy suit and knee-stockings, the other children wore short-sleeved tunics embossed with unorthodox characters. For example, one of the garments read 'Pok�mon,' with an abominable yellow creature situated under the strange word. Another garment was adorned with the admonition, 'Warning: I Am Two Years Old!' I asked Standish about this queer development in children's fashion. He explained that the children were wearing something known as a 'T-shirt,' a popular, inexpensive mode of dress amongst the yeomanry which typically bears a name, phrase, or design conveying an irreverent attitude on the part of its wearer.

'A coarse practice, but endearing,' I told Standish. 'I would like a 'T-shirt' of my own. Go to the village T-shirtery and obtain one for me. I favor one that states, 'William Randolph Hearst Is A Lascivious Vulgarian, And You Mustn't Buy One Of His Cheap, Tawdry Scandal-Sheets, Even If Your Very Well-Being Depended Upon It.'"

T. Herman Zweibel. "I like this T-Shirt Fashion," The Onion.com (April 27, 2000).

VocabVitamins.com

Tune in tomorrow for: PORTENT

© 2007 Fire Escape Partners, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Learnt a lot from vicissitudes of life, I am a student of life, A work in progress, currently(sic) an overweight body but a beautiful mind, Another human seeking happiness. I believe in sharing and absorbing wisdom irrespective of the source. (aa no bhadraa kratavo...)