Recent Comments

Disclaimer: All the postings on this blog are automated. I do not claim any credit (or discredit) for their inherent worth. If I especially like something from this blog, I will copy and paste it at my other blog: http://toastmasterambarish.blogspot.com

Monday, June 21, 2010

Today's Word: apprise

Your daily dose of Vocab Vitamins

my  
This week's theme is: Forewarning.
word a day apprise

Your current subscription status is: MyWordaDay Only.

> Did you know Vocab Vitamins Complete is just $16.50/year?


Open Spigot: The Vocab Vitamins Blog

6/27 Vocab Vitamins is opening up

Vocab Vitamins - The Book.



Your vitamins -- now wrapped in paper with original illustrations.


> Subscribe

> Account Settings


To UNSUBSCRIBE, click here and follow the instructions on our simple form.

Fire Escape Partners
3465 25th Street, Suite 17
San Francisco, CA 94110

(transitive verb)
[ah-PRIEZ] Play Word

1. to inform or give notice to: "Janice returned from the playground with a serious expression and apprised her parents that she had married another four-year-old named Todd."


Origin:
Approximately 1694; borrowed from French, 'appris,' past participle of 'apprendre': to learn, to grasp; from Latin, 'apprendere,' a contraction of 'apprehendere': to apprehend.

In action:
"I had been working as a journalist specializing in East Los Angeles street gangs for seven years. It's an admittedly peculiar specialty for a middle-aged white woman, and there were times during those years when I found myself shuttling schizophrenically between yuppie Cub Scout meetings and urban shoot-outs, a fact that did not, I'm sure, add to my son's sense of security. However, there were payoffs too, in the form of relationships. I got to know scores of gang members well -- some of whom call me collect from correctional institutions when they get locked up. A homeboy with the street name of Crazy Ace was then among my most regular callers.

In order to rise high in the ranks of street gangs, one must possess intelligence, a bad-ass ultra-cool persona and the ability not to blink in the face of danger. Ace had all those qualities in lavish abundance. So the next time he called, on a whim I decided to apprise him of my son's dilemma and ask if he had any advice. He suggested I put Will on the phone. Will had met Ace only once in the past, but remembered him vividly. Wide-eyed, he took the receiver and listened.

Afterward I asked Ace what he'd told my kid. 'Just mainly to try not to let it get to him,' he said. Exactly what both my brother and I had already advised. But coming from the infamous Crazy Ace, it had weight. Within days, Will seemed calmer."

Celeste Fremon. "Boys without men," Salon.com (April 13, 1998).

"Explaining how commuters benefit, Yadav cites and example. �Earlier, if someone was run over by a train, the motorman would have to wait for the next train to pass, halt it and ask the other motorman to inform the nearest station master.

Now, news of the accident is instantly relayed to the control room over the mobile communication system in the train. Earlier, there was no way in which the motorman could contact the control room or nearest station,� Yadav elucidates. He adds that each motorman can communicate with every other motorman, which greatly facilitates the flow of information.

Yadav says that if a train is delayed, the motorman could earlier not relay the information to the control room, which was consequently unable to apprise the local railway stations. This meant that restless commuters, known to spark a riot at the drop of a hat, would grow even more restless."

Kalpana Verma. "Western Railway goes shopping, zooms into hi-tech age," ExpressIndia.com (April 06, 2003).

VocabVitamins.com

Tune in tomorrow for: CAVEAT

© 2007 Fire Escape Partners, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Learnt a lot from vicissitudes of life, I am a student of life, A work in progress, currently(sic) an overweight body but a beautiful mind, Another human seeking happiness. I believe in sharing and absorbing wisdom irrespective of the source. (aa no bhadraa kratavo...)