Recent Comments

Disclaimer: All the postings on this blog are automated. I do not claim any credit (or discredit) for their inherent worth. If I especially like something from this blog, I will copy and paste it at my other blog: http://toastmasterambarish.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Today's Word: rime

Your daily dose of Vocab Vitamins

my  
This week's theme is: How's the Weather?
word a day rime

Your current subscription status is: MyWordaDay Only.

> Did you know Vocab Vitamins Complete is just $16.50/year?


Open Spigot: The Vocab Vitamins Blog

6/27 Vocab Vitamins is opening up

Vocab Vitamins - The Book.



Your vitamins -- now wrapped in paper with original illustrations.


> Subscribe

> Account Settings


To UNSUBSCRIBE, click here and follow the instructions on our simple form.

Fire Escape Partners
3465 25th Street, Suite 17
San Francisco, CA 94110

noun, transitive verb
[rime] Play Word

noun

1. a coating of ice crystals forming an opaque white deposit, especially on grass or trees outside, formed by the rapid freezing of water droplets on a cold surface: "I was compelled to destroy the rime formations along the exterior of our cabin like a giddy child with a pocket full of bubble wrap."

2. a coating or surface, such as slime, likened to a frosty film or ice

transitive verb

3. to cover with rime or frost, or with a substance likened to rime or frost

Also: used as a variant of rhyme


Origin:

In Action:
'TWAS a death-bed summons, and forth I went
By the way of the Western Wall, so drear
On that winter night, and sought a gate -
The home, by Fate,
Of one I had long held dear.
And there, as I paused by her tenement,
And the trees shed on me their rime and hoar,
I thought of the man who had left her lone -
Him who made her his own
When I loved her, long before.
The rooms within had the piteous shine
The home-things wear which the housewife miss;
From the stairway floated the rise and fall
Of an infant's call,
Whose birth had brought her to this.
Her life was the price she would pay for that whine -
For a child by the man she did not love.
"But let that rest forever," I said,
And bent my tread
To the chamber up above.

Thomas Hardy (1840-1928). English poet and novelist. Son of a stonesmason.
Wessex Poems & Other Verses, Her Death and After, 1898

VocabVitamins.com

Tune in tomorrow for: WILLIWAW

© 2007 Fire Escape Partners, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Learnt a lot from vicissitudes of life, I am a student of life, A work in progress, currently(sic) an overweight body but a beautiful mind, Another human seeking happiness. I believe in sharing and absorbing wisdom irrespective of the source. (aa no bhadraa kratavo...)